Sunday, July 7, 2013

Running out of town: San Antonio

I have not been doing very much running at all, have you?  Over the holiday weekend, it seems like every few hours we are visiting with friends and eating hot dogs!  I managed a few trips to the gym but I am not running more than 2 to 4.5 miles at a time, though pretty quickly (for me), around a 7:12 min per mile pace.  I hope this will restart my running with renewed mental energy (as opposed to calorie-massive quantities of charred processed beef ingested this weekend).  

We saw fireworks by chance as we drove across the mountains.

I am out of town for the whole summer, so I'm soliciting San Antonio (yay!) running ideas, paths and plans.  San Antonio is certainly among the top five places I've lived and I am always happy to spend time there.  

I like running along the Riverwalk (early in the morning for sure, to beat the crowds and heat), starting at the Pearl Brewery:



and ending with a post-run fancy pastry at the CIA Bakery Cafe

Separation anxious even with her safety goggles
 and I love the Salado Greenway, too.  This picture from last fall just oozes refreshment:

Can't wait to call this my go-to running path again!
 My road bike is coming with me (though Nugs and D are staying home in El Paso) and the plan is to get some rides in with my old bike club, the San Antonio Cycling Club.  I love to ride out in Castroville and get cookies at Haby's Bakery for the drive back into town.  It's the wrong time of year for Tour de Gruene and the Fiesta Wildflower Ride but I love both these routes and will do them solo if time allows.  

There is nothing like Hill Country by bicycle even when it's a humid one billion degrees out!

A great day = the Guadalupe in spring + road bike
Temptation is this Orangeleaf half marathon on July 20th in New Braunfels but I'm trying to ignore this compulsion...must not think about all the delicious yogurt at the end...

Hope everyone enjoyed a happy 4th of July weekend!  San Antonio fans (and who isn't??), won't you share your favorite places for running, riding, passing time?

Nugget, pondering squirrels and Texas pride

No comments:

Post a Comment